Monday, May 26, 2008

Anniversary Camping

Memorial weekend is our annual camping trip because that is the weekend that Kevin and I met, and we met camping. I was going to visit Jennie Raye in Cedar City and she happened to be camping and so I went with her. We met at 11:20pm (I was 20 minutes late because exit 95 and Paragonah are not the same exit, so 11:40 for me) and only Jennie Raye, Hannah, Kevin and I met at his farm. Others were invited but dropped out, even Rob, who the camping trip was for didn't come. So we crammed into a farm truck and went to the campsite Kevin had already set up earlier (he even took a picture of it since it was his first time camping since his mission, so I posted it) and listened to Jennie Raye talk until 3:30am around the fire.
Kevin and I got up after the sun came up and the other two were still sleeping. I ate breakfast with this stranger, discussed the bible a little bit, tried to threaten the other two to wake up or else the dog (that stunk like dead animal and skunk and was covered with who knows what) would come in there with them. We were unsuccessful at waking the two so Kevin and I went on a hike together, and Kevin told me everything about him in that hour and a half. I thought the man talked but I learned that he had already told me everything he had to say on that hike. I must say that I have never felt so comfortable around a person before and felt so at peace, and he even had a gun and it didn't bother me.
When we came back, Jennie Raye and Hannah were just finishing breakfast, then the girls went to Cedar City and Kevin cleaned up camp. We watched a movie on the trampoline that night, TV on the roof, and saw each other at church. Monday I had the most incredible date, Kevin took me rabbit chasing. You have to go to know exactly how much fun it is. Basically we would chase the rabbits through the sage brush in a farm truck and clean out the radiator a bit and do it again. Tighten your seat belts or you will pay! We also climbed the peanut hill (as the Laub's call it). I went home and we successfully dated for 1 and 1/2 months long distance and were engaged and married 5 months later. I knew that I wanted to feel that comforting-peaceful feeling for the rest of my life.
This is actually when we celebrate our anniversary since December is too crazy (my birthday 19, Christmas 25, Anniversary 28). We packed our kids up and went camping about 10 minutes up the road and had fun with the crazy rain and wind. We did make a fire and attempted popcorn, which was half edible. The kids had fun playing in the dirt, obviously KayDee was tired and still wanted to play in the dirt. Sam had to pick every flower across the campsite and Derrick loved to keep Dad's hat from getting dirty. They all colored pictures while they waited for lunch. I colored the one Kevin drew of the truck after lunch. I love how everyone has their mouth open while pointing to their picture on the camper fridge (KayDee pulled hers off, not surprising). Kevin insists that our purple truck has to stay on that fridge. It was a fun camping trip and, of course, we plan to do it again next year.

1 comment:

Annie Sunshine said...

That is such a fun "how we met" story! And totally Kevin, you guys make a good match. I'm not the camping type, but I would actually enjoy it if I had a trailer like yours. Looks like you had fun.