Sunday, April 14, 2019

It's Time to Race! RAGE

 Packet Pick Up!
So I wanted to spend more time with my sister this year and I knew she was doing races, mainly triathlons. I called her up and said I want to do a race with you but I don't want to run (my joints are not happy with lots of running). She said she had this Aquabike race coming up in April so I signed up and started training. We were supposed to go 48 miles on the bike but they changed it to the Olympic distance a week before the race, 24 miles, so I was more than ready.

 Getting Ready to get into Lake Mead! 64 degrees! I was pretty happy with my wetsuit. After dumping cold water down it, Yikes that's cold, I was ready to climatize to the lake faster. The water was very wavy with the wind and I had plenty of adrenaline. I started out too fast and was breathing too hard to swim well. I finally held onto a buoy and relaxed, then I started out again like I should have at the beginning and was able to freestyle stroke the rest of the way. I wasn't the last in the water but I was definitely behind my category wave.
 On to the bike. I was feeling pretty good and was passing people on the up hills and being passed on the down hills. I'm a wimp going too fast, plus there was wind and quite a bit of gravel on the road. I like to feel safe.
 Yep! I got a flat tire! I was prepared and knew what to do since I get them all the time! I had a spare and one of the volunteers, which I knew from the women's hike to Phantom Ranch, stopped to help. I had 6 miles left and a bulging tire. She said I could easily do it! I was the last person to finish the bike course overall.
 Well I think I got some kind of record. I was last to finish the bike course but 2nd in my category. If you can't figure that out, there were only two women in my category. In the end I am listed as 1st place in my category since the other winner won an overall award. I'm feeling pretty great being first and last place all at once!
 It was a great race and I'm glad I was able to do it. I started training in January and had a lot of work to do. I had to learn how to freestyle swim and breathe between strokes. I had to raise my miles on the bike. I enjoyed the challenge and felt the rush of working hard for a race. I would love a do over but I am really happy with all my hard work. My sister did amazing and is training to do a half Ironman in Kona, Hawaii. She ended up doing the Olympic Triathlon, just added the run, since our race was cut shorter. I was able to cheer her on when she crossed the finish line for the run.
And I will be purchasing new tires! Hopefully thorn resistant!

No comments: