Monday, April 27, 2015

Honey Bees




So we had a super busy weekend. It finally rained and we got baby lambs and the honey bees came. We couldn't put them in the hive until the weather was better but we had to get it done. Kevin heated up one of the outbuildings on the farm and he and Travis went to work placing the queen, spraying sugar water on them and shaking them into the boxes. We were watching and of course some of the bees flew out and naturally one flew directly into my eye. I'm sure my reaction of blinking and then flicking it off my eye was not good for this scenario. I did get stung on my eyelid. It hurt but not too bad, and Bree was able to use a credit card to flick the stinger out. Now my eye is swollen but not shut. It could have been worse. The transfer of bees to boxes went well and they will be checked in a couple weeks. Hopefully they liked their queen and the hive.

No comments: